Could decentralized identification, or DID, be the application that finally sparks the mass adoption of blockchain technology?
Maybe. We learned during the last two weeks that Korea’s top financial watchdog, the Financial Service Commission (FSC), is working to mainstream DID as a way to promote the development and use of fintech services.
Earlier this year, the FSC included ICONLOOP’s “my-ID” DID solution into the watchdog’s Innovative Financial Services and Regulations Sandbox, making it one of only a handful of blockchain services so admitted. The “my-ID” service is at the heart of the MyID Alliance, one of three major DID initiatives currently underway in Korea.
The Ministry of Science, Technology and ICT’s Institute of Information & communications Technology Planning & Evaluation is also leading a project to develop a joint DID platform. Several institutions and companies are participating, including ICONLOOP.
As ICONLOOP Communication Team Lead Minhwan Kim said when the FSC news broke, “As ID is the basis of the digital economy, if the public van verify the value of blockchain technology through DID, it could promote the mass adoption of the technology in all fields.”
ICON Insider / Newsbyte
P-Rep / Community Highlights
- Announcing the ICON (ICX) Christmas Giveaway by Stakin (Dec 5)
- Event report: 30/11 conference by Sharpn (Dec 5)
- MetrICX Feature Update: Dec 6, 2019 by RHIZOME (Dec 6)
- What exactly is weBloc up to? A lot. by RHIZOME (Dec 6)
- BUY, SELL, AND TRADE DIGITAL PROPERTIES ON THE EOS BLOCKCHAIN WITH UPLAND by Hackcrypto (Dec 6)
- Vote Disparity in the ICON Ecosystem by reactcrypto (Dec 8)
- 2019 Conclusion Report by Piconbello (Dec 11)
- What’s the value of ICONbet’s TAP token? By ICONOGRAPHER (Dec 11)
- ICON: Network Stabilization, ICON Tracker, Mobile Staking and BTP by Paradigm (Dec 11)
- Binance.US Will List Enjin (ENJ) and ICON (ICX) by Binance.US (Dec 12)
- ICON Blockchain Developer Workshop by ICON DAO (Dec 12)
- Binance US Opens Door to South Korean Blockchain ICON (ICX) by Mineable (Dec 12)
- ICON Community Grant Program (“ICON CGP”) by Bongahn from ICONFoundation (Dec 12)
- RHIZOME Report EP10 – A Conversation with Edouard Lavidalle of Stakin by RHIZOME (Dec 12)
- RHIZOME Report EP11 – ICON BTP v0.5, ICX on Binance US, and ICON/VELIC Grant Proposals by RHIZOME (Dec 13)
- Everstake: ICON Roadmap for 2020 by Everstake (Dec 13)
- Who’s down with BTP? By RHIZOME (Dec 14)
- ICON Go’s weekly publication by ICON GO (Dec 17)
News Coverage / ICON Mentions
- South Korean Investors Turn to Blockchain Development as Crypto Market Suffers by CoinGape (Dec 11)